Singing with us
Membership is open to all proficient choral singers. We require a commitment to consistent practice and excellent performance. In return, we guarantee challenging, rewarding musical and educational opportunities with supportive, welcoming, and fun-loving friends and colleagues.
Rehearsals are held Wednesdays, 7-9:30 pm at Lakeside Presbyterian Church 201 Eucalyptus Drive, San Francisco, Corner of Eucalyptus and 19th Ave. by Stonestown Mall). We have three concert cycles in a season with rehearsals for each starting the first Wednesday in September, January, and April.
Auditions are held following rehearsals during the first 3 weeks of each concert cycle and will include:
- Attending the complete rehearsal on the night of your audition. This gives you a chance to get a feel for the group. Prior notice of wishing to audition, while helpful, is not required.
- Arriving at least 10 minutes before the rehearsal starts in order to obtain your music and complete a few forms that you will bring with you for your audition.
- Having your audition in a private space with the Director and accompanist (if needed).
Your audition will take about 10 minutes and consist of:
- General questions about your choral experience, based on information completed by you on your audition form.
- Singing a song of your choice that illuminates what you feel are the best facets of your voice. (Note: This can be an “art song” or aria, but could also be a folk song, Broadway show tune, hymn or Christmas Carol, etc.) An accompanist will be provided.
- Evaluation of general range and quality of tone by the Director.
- General exercises of tonal memory and sight-singing of a simple motet or hymn.
- Immediate feedback from the Director.
We encourage interested singers to join us for our rehearsals, singing along with us, before the interview to get a feel for the group. Please come a few minutes early to fill out a new member form and pickup music. We usually set up a table to the left as you come in the main entrance of the church. Some will be at the table to assist you and answer an questions. Interviews are held immediately following rehearsals around 9:30pm.
- Your voice part (soprano, alto, tenor or bass)
- A short description of your singing experience
- Your availability to attend one of our first three regular rehearsals and audition times
Or just attend any of the first three rehearsals on: Spring 2015: 1/7, 1/14, 1/21
Dues are currently $110 per concert cycle, or $330 for the entire season. Music fees cover the full cost to produce or purchase the music and will vary with each cycle. We expect music fees to be $10-25/cycle this season. Practice music is usually offered for download from the chorus website.
- Pants: formal dress pants
- Skirt: mid-calf to ankle length, straight hem, formal concert style
- Top: 3/4 length or long sleeves, moderate to high necklines, jackets are okay
- Fabric: matte true black. Avoid lacy, shiny, sparkles or see-through fabrics
- Accessories: black hose, black dress shoes, simple jewelry, bright makeup, and pulled-back hair
Men wear their own black tuxedos with white shirt and black bow tie. They may alternatively wear a black blazer and dress slacks with white shirt and black bow tie.